Monday, June 26, 2006

Why does my thumb hurt?

Because games consoles are evil time sucking things.

I haven’t owned a console since the Sega Mega Drive, I got it by swapping with a friend my NES. Those were the days, up down left right, two buttons, it was a simpler, more innocent age.

Now you have 8 buttons, two joysticks and a port for bodily fluids. You have to dislocate your wrist just to control the thing.

When I first got the NES I stayed up all night playing Mario Bros, I was 13, and I din’t stop until my hand literally seized up.

After the mega drive I didn’t really play computer games for a long time. At Uni, I seemed to upset the crowd with what was deemed ‘button bashing’ i.e they had spent the better part of the week perfecting the super deluxe death move, and I had beaten them with a tried and tested find two buttons that work and just keep moving.

Well recently I discovered Pro Evo 5, it is the world cup after all.

And so I have in my bag a folder full of work and the best of intentions.

Just one game though, see what it’s like, ok two just so I can get the hang of it.

Best of three. And I won 5-0 against a guys whose been playing since well forever.

It’s now Monday morning, I’ve lost what feels like a cm of skin of my thumb, and I’ve still got a folder full of work.

There is a lesson.

Basically, I work best by playing England, in a 5-3-2 formation, on the counter attack.

1 Comments:

At 4:22 pm, Blogger Tim Clague said...

Now what was that discussion we had re: time wasting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home